TechPats – Your Partner in Developing Solutions to Intellectual Property Challenges
The automotive industry is facing unprecedented technological and business disruptions caused by the emergence of Autonomous Driving technologies. The emergence of these technologies creates opportunities for innovative, agile companies to thrive, while at the same time, posing a potential threat for well established companies who are not quick enough to adapt.
Along with technological, competitive and business changes in the automotive industry, the Intellectual Property landscape will undergo drastic changes in the coming years. This volatility will create opportunities for new market players, while also fostering a significantly increased risk of infringement exposure and patent assertion for others in the automotive supply chain.
TechPats has made the autonomous driving intellectual property environment its central focus in 2020 and 2021. We have secured several engagements with leading OEMs, Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive suppliers.
Examples of recent automotive intellectual property engagements include:
- Demonstrating non-infringement of infotainment units in a patent defense case involving reverse engineering of accused semiconductor devices
- Assessment of patents owned by automotive OEMs for applicability to ETSI 3GPP and Intelligent Transport standards
- Patent acquisition programs which included technology landscaping and portfolio mining to prepare automotive players for anticipated counter-assertion
- Strategy support to identify patent landscapes of the high risk adversaries in the autonomous driving technologies.
Working with our clients in the automotive industry has enabled us to build knowledge of current and emerging technologies, suppliers, supply chain dynamics, standards, and products, as well as the competitive and patent landscapes relevant to autonomous driving.
Our experience with semiconductors, wireless and software patent analysis, and product reverse engineering and testing has proven to be directly applicable to the autonomous driving industry.
Below is a list of TechPats’ technical services and capabilities in autonomous driving:
- Standards and technology know how as applicable to autonomous driving: V2X Connectivity, Sensor Networks, Operating Software, Telematics, ADAS, Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Services, Mobility Services.
- Product testing, in particular as related to security and reliability requirements.
- Technology/patent landscaping with already established knowledge of market players, their products and patent holdings.
- Patent portfolio assessment to rank your company position in all technology aspects of autonomous driving.
- Semiconductor, wireless, digital media and software reverse engineering and testing capabilities in our Ottawa, Canada lab enabling to support clients in patent infringement and non-infringement analysis.
- IP Strategy development and support including: patent exposure analysis, portfolio gap assessment, and risk mitigation strategies.
- Patent acquisition programs and strategic patenting programs to strengthen company’s patent position in autonomous driving and to prepare for potential defensive/offensive actions.
TechPats Automotive Industry Capabilities
Whether your company is an established OEM, Tier 1 or Tier 2 supplier or a new entrant in autonomous driving, TechPats can offer this suite of technical services and capabilities to help you navigate through this new challenging environment.